General Store around 1825
Anonymous May 1, 1914
"What more enduring monument could a man desire than that his name and memory be linked with the destiny of a town populated with intelligent, cultured, patriotic and resolute citizens, a majority of whom are united in a ceaseless endeavor to render that town a highly desirable location for the homeseeker, the manufacturer and various kinds of legitimate business enterprises. A town of this character is bound to attract good substantial people from every section, and Loganville shall continue to grow and expand through the coming years and stand as a monument to the wisdom of the man who selected this place as a site for a town.”
1802-1811: Orphan Strip joint responsibility of Georgia and North Carolina.
1802-1804: Walton County, Georgia, settlers named their settlement for a Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence, George Walton. (Georgia’s 43rd County at this time)
December, 1804: The Walton War—Quarrels over a dispute resulted in armed conflict and loss of life. In December 1804, several Georgians assaulted and killed a Buncombe County, North Carolina constable over disputed land along the Georgia/North Carolina border. North Carolina retaliated with military action. Walton County, GA, lost the war and the land at the border.
1804-1806: Walton County, GA government failed. North Carolina took control of the strip.
1807: Joint Commission declared the Orphan Strip belonged to North Carolina
1811: Georgia Land Survey affirmed the 1807 Joint Commission's findings. The Walton officially ended.
1818-1819: The Lottery Act of 1818 officially created Georgia’s 46th county. By 1819 Walton County was organized and again named for George Walton, the signer of the Declaration of Independence who served as governor of Georgia and as a U.S. Senator.
1818-1842 Settlers to Walton County built homes, farms and businesses in settlements together known as Bumcombe.
1842, Nov. 9: At a sheriff’s sale in Monroe, Walton County, GA, James Harvie Logan purchased 62.5 acres for $150 in the Fourth Land District. Logan moved to what was then known as Buncombe in Walton County.
1842: Logan built a house which eventually became a nucleus from which a town began.
1850: Logan moved to Pike County leaving about 500 residents in the village.
Of his six children, one daughter, eighteen-year old Elizabeth remained in the village. She married George W. Boss in 1850.
1851, June 11: William F. Kennedy appointed postmaster and Buncombe was renamed Loganville to honor James Harvie Logan.
1882: Fire destroyed about half of the business section of Main Street. This was one of several fires that affected the downtown area—still evident in some of the buildings that still exist today.
1887: Loganville was incorporated as a town in 1887. Drafted by E.S.V. Briant, the town limits were defined as being a half-mile in every direction from the front door of the Justice of Peace Courthouse of the 417th Georgia Military District.
Dr. J. I. Robinson was officially recognized as the town’s first mayor when the CC. George resigned the position before taking office
Councilman were identified as R.A. Hammond, John R. Wilson, John R. Floyd, W.H. Braswell and Edward R. Floyd.
1897-1898: A branch line of the broad gauge railroad was organized by the citizens between the town and Lawrenceville and was opened on Dec. 1, 1898. A depot was built for the Loganville & Lawrenceville Railroad Company in 1898. J.P. Rockmore drove the golden spike for the line.
1901: The Seaborad Air Line Railroad purchased the Loganville & Lawrenceville Railroad Company from the Georgia, Carolina and Northern Railway.
1901-1905: The establishment of the railroad was followed by the building of a $10,000 school building and the adoption of the free school system.
1905: Original town charter replaced. Town limits redefined to extend a half-mile from the water well in the center of downtown—the original courthouse marker was destroyed by fire.
George Garrett was listed as mayor under the new charter.
Commissioners who continued to serve were J.W. Braswell, A.J. Garrett, J.B. Gurley, H.S. O’Kelley and Tryon Smith.
1907: The Town of Loganville publicized 12 mercantile businesses as well as four physicians and two dentists.
1914: The town of Loganville officially became the City of Loganville.
1932: The L&L Railroad line was abandoned in 1932 due to the Great Depression.
1990-2000: Loganville’s population increased by more than 70 percent between giving it the status as one of Georgia’s fastest growing cities.
This page is under construction. Thanks for coming back to see our progress.
Moon Brothers Left to Right