The village that grew up around McElvany’s Mill was known as Bay Creek. Farmers from this area brought their wheat and corn to be ground into flour and meal. Just after wheat harvest was a busy time. The mill ran day and night. Farmers in ox-drawn wagons and carts came from quite a distance. As they waited their turn, they often camped out at night on the creek near the mill. After the wheat was ground and processed, the farmer carried home the brand or husk which was fed to the cows, the shorts or a coarse flour used mostly to feed hogs, and the pure white flour that housewives made into the famous southern biscuit.
Loganville Before Its Founder: Bay Creek Community, now a part of greater Loganville, was already a thriving community before James Harvie Logan built his shoe shop on lands he purchased at a Sheriff's Sale in 1842.
Around 1830, John Sidney McElvany, almost 21 years of age, moved to Gwinett Co., Georgia. On Dec. 22, 1831, he married 18 year-old Eliza Ann Born. The couple built a small home on Bay Creek, about 2 1/2 miles north of present day Loganville.
By the end of the 1830’s the McElvany’s family had grown to four children, three girls and a boy. At some point in time Mr. McElvany built and operated one of the finest grist and flour mills in this part of the state. In later years a furniture, buggy, and wagon factory was added. Later a saw mill, cotton gin, and a general store with a post office were added to his list of ventures.